Preparation Time: 15-20 mins
Cooking Time: Approx 40 mins Heat: 180°/160° fan 350°f (Gas 4)
This cake brings back childhood memories. I remember my mum making Date & Walnut Cake often; it was one of my favourites.
Therefore, I had to veganise a recipe (& make it Gluten Free).
I think I may just have succeeded!
As I’ve used various recipes for inspiration, I’ve decided to put all measurements in cups for ease.
This recipe uses a blend of 3/4 cup of rice flour, 1/2 cup quinoa flour & 1/4 cup chickpea flour combined with 1/4 cup ground almonds.
To reduce refined sugars, I’ve used coconut sugar in this cake. Teamed with the apple sauce, it works well.
** You may want to try another gluten free flour or refined sugar alternative, that you have experience baking with.
- 1 cup plant milk
- 2 TBS apple sauce
- 1 TSP apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 TSP vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar*
- 1.5 cups flour (as above or use your own)
- 1/4 cup of ground almond
- 2 TSP Baking Powder
- 1/4 TSP Baking Soda
- Pinch Salt
- 3/4 Cup broken Walnuts
- 9-12 dates (depending on size) chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°f 170°c or Gas mark 4
2. Line a 23×13 cm loaf tin (9×5″)
3. Add all dry ingredients to a bowl except the dates, Mix well.
4. Then add the chopped dates into the dry ingredients & stir well.
5. In a large mixing jug, add all the wet ingredients & mix well.
6. When ready, mix the wet ingredients into the dry & stir until all have been combined.
7. Working quickly, add the mixture to the loaf tin. Smooth the top so it is level & add some whole walnuts for decoration.
8. Bake for 40mins or until a skewer comes out clean. The cake should spring when pressed gently.
9. Leave to cool & add a little sprinkled sugar for extra decoration if needed.