Cooking: 20 min
Serves: 6 people
Prep: 15 min
On Sunday March 20, millions of people around the World celebrated Nowruz. Put very simply, Nowruz is a 13 day celebration which marks the Persian New Year, and the beginning of Spring.
The festival is celebrated in many countries with significant Persian cultural influence, including Iran, Iraq, India, Afghanistan, and much of Central Asia.
So I thought I would celebrate with a Persian Inspired dish; Pomegranate, Tofu (Chick’n) With Cinnamon, Pilaf
🥘 1 1/4 cups Basmati or Long grain Rice
🥘 1 litre Vegan Chik’n or Vegetable Stock
🥘 1 Cinnamon Stick
🥘 2 Slices Lemon
🥘 2 Bay leaves
🥘 1/3 Cup Cranberries
🥘 4 Cardamom pods, split open
🥘 1 TSP Allspice
🥘 1/4 TSP Saffron stems or 1/2 TSP Turmeric/ Paella Colouring
🥘 1 Onion finely sliced
🥘 Seasoning to taste
🥘 Light Olive oil or Avocado oil for sautéing
🥘 2 small packs of Tofu or one large *
🥘 Your favourite Tofu Seasoning blend
🥘 I use: Soy sauce, Nooch & a little Agave
* or other Chicken alternative
🥘 1/4 Cup of Pine Nuts
🥘 Fresh Pomegranate Juice for drizzling
🥘 1/2 Cup of Pomegranate Seeds
🥘 Fresh Corriander & Mint chopped
🥘 I added some cherry tomatoes for extra colour
1) Wash the rice in a sieve until water runs clear and allow to drain.
2) Combine all the ingredients for the stock in a saucepan, bring to the boil, turn off the heat and allow to infuse.
3) Toast the pine nuts in a pan or in the oven (ensure they don’t burn).
4) Heat 2 tablespoons oil, add onions, season and fry until golden brown and set aside.
5) Press the tofu until no more liquid comes out & then cut it into cubes (I prefer to tear into chicken shaped pieces). Season the Tofu chunks in your favourite marinade (see note above) & bake in the oven or air fryer until crispy & golden. Set aside.
5) Add a little oil and sauté rice for a minute or two.
6) Add the hot aromatic stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Turn off and allow to stand for another 10 minutes until rice has absorbed all the stock.
Serve on a platter sprinkled with warm fried onions, Tofu Chick’n, Pine Nuts, a drizzle of Pomegranate Juice, Pomegranate fruit, Corriander and Mint leaves.
Tags: Dairy Free, Meat Free, Special Occasions & World Flavours