Preparation & Cooking Time: 30 minutes
I wanted a ‘quick n easy’, but tasty meal after a hectic week; this aubergine curry takes 30 minutes.
Luckily, I’d rescued some baby aubergines from a plant covered in the red Saharan Sand (now mud) the previous day, so they would make the perfect showcase ingredient.
Unfortunately, my husband, is not a huge fan of aubergine, so I also remembered I had a pack of @heurafoods chick’n type pieces in the freezer 👍🏻
So here’s my Aubergine n Chick’n Coconut Curry .. It tastes equally delicious without the chick’n, if meat alternatives aren’t your thing; In fact next time my husband isn’t around, I’ll do just that!
🌶️ Light Olive or Avocado Oil to sauté
🌶️ 1 Large Onion
🌶️ 4-6 baby Aubergines
🌶️ @heurafoods.es Bocados Originales or other 🌱 Chick’n alternative
🌶️ 2 TBSP tomato purée
🌶️ 1 TBSP tomato ketchup
🌶️ 1 tin Coconut Milk
🌶️ Small amount of vegetable stock to make sauce to required consistency)
🌶️ 1 TSP Turmeric
🌶️ 2 TSP Garlic purée paste
🌶️ Salt to taste
🌶️ 2 TSP Garam Masala
🌶️ Curry Powder to strength you like
🌶️ 2 TSP Cumin seeds
🌶️ 1/4 TSP Fenugreek seeds
🌶️1 tsp Chilli Powder or flakes (or required heat 🔥)
🌶️ Chopped Coriander to garnish
1) Sauté the finely sliced onion in a little oil.
2) After a couple of minutes, add large chunks of aubergine (if you have more time, you can roast the baby aubergines whole & then add them). Because aubergine is very porous, I added salt at this stage & a little hot water to speed up the process (& use less oil)
3) Once the onion & aubergine were slightly soft & starting to brown, I added the cumin & fenugreek seeds to heat through & toast slightly in the mix
4) Next I added the Chick’n pieces to brown slightly
5) Once everything looked heated, I added the remaining spices (not the chopped coriander which is a garnish). Stir through for 1 minute
6) Add the coconut milk & a little vegetable stock & stir everything through.
7) Add the tomato puree & ketchup and let the curry simmer for 15 mins or so. I adjusted the spices & salt during this time to my liking 🔥🌶️. If needed add extra stock during this time (but this should be a thick creamy curry).
8) Plate up with cooked rice & sprinkle with chopped coriander. Enjoy!
Categories Used: Asian Food, Comfort Food, Meat Alternatives, World Flavours