I’d made Hassleback Aubergines the day before & had two leftover. I raided the fridge to find Harissa Paste; a defrosted block of Tofu; some home-made vegetable stock & some home-made feta cheese and … An idea was formed.
I tore the tofu into pieces (which I always think looks more Chick’n like than perfect cubes), and then marinated it in a blend of herbs & spices.
🍲 Avocado or Olive Oil for sautéing
🍲 1 Onion, thinly sliced
🍲 3 or 4 bulbs of crushed Garlic
🍲 1/2 Red Pepper, sliced
🍲 1/2 Yellow Pepper, sliced
🍲 3-4 Tsp Harissa paste
🍲 400ml Vegetable Stock (mine was homemade with chunks of celery, carrot & sweet potato) add extra veggies if needed
🍲 400g tin Chopped or Frito Tomatoes
🍲 Handful dried Apricots or Cranberries
🍲 1 block of pressed, defrosted Tofu, torn into chunks & marinated in:
🍲 1 TSP Onion powder
🍲 1 TSP Ginger
🍲 1 TSP Smoked Paprika
🍲 1 TSP Cumin powder
🍲 1 TSP ground Cinnamon
🍲 Torn fresh Corriander leaves
🍲 Crumbled Vegan Feta
* I used previously cooked Hassleback Aubergines, but you can chop fresh aubergines & cook them with the other ingredients
1. I sautéd down the onions & peppers & added the marinated tofu pieces & garlic until golden & veggies were soft.
2. I then added all the other ingredients apart from garnish & left to simmer until reduced. If it looks a little watery add a little corn starch to thicken.
3. Some of my spices are a little old, so I played around with the cinnamon, paprika & a little extra Harissa Paste as I like spicy strong flavours, so adjust as you require
4. Garnish with crumbled ‘feta’ & Corriander & serve
Categories Used: World Flavours, Meat Free