This is my recipe for Vegan Pancetta, which can be used for a number of recipes: for example Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta which I oven bake or Sauté.
I prefer to use smoked tofu for this recipe, but you could use plain & add liquid smoke or similar.
Vegan ‘Pancetta’ recipe:
1 block of smoked tofu, cut into small cubes.
- 1 tbs Maple Syrup
- 2 tbs Avocado or light olive oil
- 2 tbs Soy sauce
- 2tbs Tomato puree
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Sweet Smoked Paprika
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch Black pepper
- Cut the tofu into small Pancetta sized cubes
- Preheat oven Gas mark 200°c / 400°F if baking
- Mix the marinade ingredients together in a bowl. (If you are going to saute your Pancetta don’t add the oil, but use it in your pan instead).
- Marinade the tofu cubes in the marinade for a minimum of half an hour.
- Line your oven sheet with baking paper & spread out your Pancetta evenly. If roasting other veg (for example sprouts, they can be baked at the same time, but larger veg will need extra time before adding the Pancetta).
- Bake from 10-20 minutes depending on the texture you want your Pancetta to have. Keep an eye, as it is easy to burn.