Approx Time to Make: 30 mins
Cranberry sauce isn’t something that is readily available in the supermarkets here in Spain & you have to find the independent shops geared towards foreigners (me) to find some. I gave up looking, but thankfully found some dried cranberries in Lidl Espana.
A quick Google & a few adjustments later, I designed a recipe that is delicious & tastes better than jars 😋 It’s low sugar, gluten free and perfect for any time of year (not just the holidays or Christmas).
I didn’t want to use carton juice as it has so much added sugar, so I used a fresh local pomegranate & some frozen raspberries I had available. Be sure to sieve to remove the seeds.
If not, Substitute the fruit juice for any red fruit juice you have available.
Because the dried cranberries are already sweet, I didn’t need to add any additional sugar 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
🍒1½ cups dried cranberries
🍒 ¾ cup red berry juice
🍒 Zest of one orange
🍒 Juice from one orange
To thicken: Mix to a slurry
🍒 1 Tablespoons cornstarch
🍒 ¼ cup water
1) Soak the cranberries in the fruit juice plus zest & juice of one orange for 10-15 mins
2) Whilst the cranberries are soaking, make the slurry
3) Add all ingredients to a pan & heat gentle until the mixture has thickened nicely & the cranberries look plumper
4) Place in a sterilised jam jar (top with a parchment seal) & then fasten lid.
I kept mine in the fridge for 2 weeks, but it could last longer.
* If you feel yours is too sharp, sweeten with Stevia or Maple Syrup (but mine was fine)
I also made a version where I subbed some of the juice with 2 caps of port. I kept this in the fridge for nearly 1 month before it was all eaten.
Tags: Christmas – Comfort Food – Gluten Free – Low Fat – Low Sugar – Special Occasions