Laksa broth can be made in advance & used to create a statement dish fir guests or a quick hearty treat for you & your loved ones.
Ready made Laksa paste is available (but check the ingredients are vegan – beware fish oils).
You can also use Thai Red Curry paste & add some extra ingredients; but again often shop bought isn’t vegan.
Therefore, I’ve listed some ingredients below to make your own. The paste & broth freeze well, so it makes a great easy showpiece meal once pre-prepared.
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 lemongrass stalks, white part diced (but keep the rest) or 1 TSP shop bought paste
- 3-4 fresh red chillis or 1 TSP dried Thai chilli seasoning (or adjust to required heat by adding a bit at a time)
- 1-2 tbsp neutral tasting oil fir frying above ingredients
- 3 tbs garlic & ginger paste * or use fresh ingredients
- 1 tbsp ground (approx. 1 sheet) nori
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1.2 L veggie stock either fresh or from cube
- 400 ml full fat coconut milk
- juice of ½ lime
- 1½ tsp sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- Splash Soy sauce
1. Make up pasted by blitzing the fresh ingredients to smooth paste.
2. Fry off the blitzed paste of onion, lemongrass & chillies, in the oil for approx 10 minutes allowing it to brown & the liquid to evaporate.
3. Then add the remaining paste ingredients and blend well.
4. Add to the broth ingredients. This broth can be used immediately or frozen so that it can form an instant meal in the future.
Add fresh toppings choose from:
- Cooked flat rice noodles or quick noodles
- Different steamed green veggies such as: sprouting broccoli or bok choi
- Fresh raw veggies such as: beansprouts, grated courgette, grated cabbage
- Tofu slices, either seasoned & baked (or air-fried) or seasoned & stir-fried
- Fresh herbs such as coriander & chives, chopped
- Edible flowers to decorate