Prep time 20 mins
Tabbouleh Salad is a healthy vegan Lebanese appetizer, traditionally made with bulgur, parsley, mint and chopped vegetables.
This version provides lots of Protein & is Gluten Free, as it swaps the bulgar for a mix of Buckwheat & Quinoa (both seeds). Yet it still retains all the flavour of the traditional dish.
I like to add some broken walnuts for an extra nutritional boost, although it’s not traditional.
🥗½ cup extra virgin olive oil – I sometimes use less if concerned
🥗3 TBS fresh lemon juice
🥗½ cup buckwheat or quinoa, or half & half mixed
🥗2 cups of loosely chopped parsley
🥗1-2 vine-ripe tomatoes
🥗1/4 cucumber diced
🥗2 green (Spring) onions use all of the onion, including the green stems.
🥗½ cup fresh mint leaves
🥗Salt & pepper
I often add a handful of broken walnuts although this is not traditional, it adds crunch & extra protein.
1. Cook the buckwheat & quinoa to the packet instructions
2. Chop the fresh parsley & mint
3. Chop the tomatoes, cucumber & onions into small pieces
4. Make the dressing with the lemon juice, oil & seasoning
5. Mix all ingredients together & place in the fridge for a minimum of half an hour to let the flavours combine.