Preparation Time: 15-20 mins
Time: Approx 1 hr Heat: 180°/160° fan Gas 4
I love lemon drizzle cake & I used to have a delicious vegan recipe, which I’ve lost somewhere. So I was determined to recreate a recipe (but this time using gluten free flour & refined sugar alternatives) whilst still keeping the light & fluffy texture.
I think I may just have succeeded! This recipe uses buckwheat flour* & coconut sugar* in the cake & a little Agave or Stevia in the drizzle.
** You may want to try another gluten free flour or refined sugar alternative that you have experience baking with.
🍋 150g dairy-free margarine
🍋 175g Coconut Sugar
🍋 200g Gluten Free flour (I used Buckwheat flour)
🍋 2 TSP Baking Powder
🍋 ½ TSP Bicarbonate of Soda
🍋 50g Ground Almonds
🍋 Pinch Salt
🍋 150ml Almond of other Plant Milk
🍋 Zest finely grated from 2 unwaxed Lemons( Juice both) 🍋You only need juice from 1 for the cake (keep the rest for drizzle)
Drizzle: (instead of Icing Sugar)
🍋 2-3 TBSP Agave or healthier sugar replacement for drizzle
🍋Juice from two lemons
1) Cream the Margarine & Coconut Sugar together
2) Add the Plant Milk & mix well
3) Sieve half the Flour, Bicarb, Baking powder and Ground Almond into the Margarine, Sugar & Milk mix until well incorporated
4) Add juice from 1 lemon & zest from 2 & mix well (* keep remaining juice from 2 lemons for the icing).
5) Sieve the remaining flour, bicarb, baking powder & ground almond & mix well into the bake batter
6) Working quickly tip into the greased or lined cake tin & spread evenly. Put into the oven.
7) Bake for 1hr or until a skewer comes out clean. The cake should spring when pressed gently.
8) Leave the cake to cool. Meanwhile mix the juice of remaining 2 Lemons with Agave or powdered healthier sugar.
When the cake has cooled somewhat, make holes in it using a skewer & then pour over the *sugar/lemon juice mixture.