Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Happy Spring Equinox! 💐
I love this time of year here on the Costa Tropical, Granada… The change of seasons & changing of the crops.
Avocados & Papaya are still in season, but late March/April brings the short season for Loquats (Nispero in Spanish). A fruit I’d never heard of before moving here 15 months ago.
I was recently served a Lentil Ceviche starter in a village in the Alpujarras & I have wanted to make one ever since.
I therefore decided to try adding locally grown loquat & top with avocado.
🌶️1.5 Cup Cooked lentils
🌶️1.5 limes, juiced/squeezed
🌶️0.5 small jalapeno or serrano chili finely sliced/diced
🌶️2-3 Loquats skinned, de-seeded & finely diced
🌶️1 small tomato, diced
🌶️1/8 cup of finely diced red onion about
🌶️1/8 cup of finely sliced cilantro
🌶️Salt, black pepper,
🌶️ Extra Virgin Olive Oil (optional)
🌶️ 1/2 an avocado sliced for top plus extra loquat for decoration
1) Finely chop the onion & marinate for 10 minutes in the lime juice with seasoning.
2) Prepare all the remaining ingredients (apart from avocado & decoration) & place in a large bowl
3) Once the red onion has marinated, mix all ingredients together.
4) Tightly pack into a ramekin or mould (I used a pastry cutter).
5) Add avocado to the top (bottom if using a mould you’ll be tipping out). Leave in the fridge for 5-10 minutes.
5) Gently tip out or remove from mould. Add final decoration & serve.
Tags: World Flavours, Fish Alternative, Fish Free, Low Fat